20 June 2007

Nothing But Nets

I recently picked up a perscription for malaria prevention for my upcoming trip. In addition to the perscription, I have been instructed to wear mosquito repellant with 100% deet and to sleep under a bed net. Because this will be my first time out of the country, I have had my mind on this particular topic, so when the United Methodist Church began promoting a charitable organization called Nothing But Nets, I paid attention. Nets only cost $10 apiece, but they are extraordinarily effective in preventing malaria. According to the website above, in areas with the worst malaria problems, nets can reduce the spread of the disease by 90%. Of course, the percentage is lower where malaria is less of a problem. I have added a link to the side of this blog. Visit their site and search around.

No comments: